I really don’t eat baked beans and especially out of a can. Loved this recipe and would make again! No bean pot necessary and really quick to make. From Cooking Light. 158 calories for 1/2 cup!
- 6 center cut bacon slices chopped
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 thyme sprigs (I used 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c. fat free lower fat chicken broth
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (I used regular paprika)
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
- 3 15 oz. cans organic navy beans
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
Cook bacon in 10 inch skillet on stove until crisp. Remove from pan and reserve bacon drippings. Add onion and thyme to drippings and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients; reduce heat and cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove thyme springs (if you used them). Add bacon and stir. Serve.