When I think of sangria I think of white wine and summer. Well, now we can have sangria in the winter!
Spiced Simple Syrup:
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 - 3 cinnamon sticks
- sliced orange peel
- 1 inch peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
Combine water, orange peel, ginger, cloves and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Stir in sugar and boil until reduced a bit and syrupy (15 minutes). Let cool, strain and store.
- 1 750 ml red wine (I use Pinot Noir)
- 1/2 c. spiced simple syrup
- Juice of one orange
- 1/4 c. rum
- 1/4 c. grand marnier
- sliced oranges, apples and pears
Combine in a pitcher and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Enjoy!